Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Camp, same place, only the faces change

awww
driving down 35
i see the sign
the marker
exit 318
3 chai
it never changes
I pull off
to the right
because I am always
driving from the north
whether I was in high school
college
or married with kids
the north of Waco

exit 318
Bruceville
I pass a gas station
that used to serve gas
I pass a railroad track
that I think
still has a train
I pass the post office
that has long since closed its doors

the houses
on the way
on the drive
stay the same
or change color
we name them
my girls and I do
the dome house
the beehive house
the yellow house
or the house
that used to be pretty
we drive down that road
and our hearts flutter
we know that we are near

the gates
real gates
an electronic gate
with beautiful lettering
spelling out the name of the camp
Greene Family Camp
not the old metal gate
no
that was ages ago

there are some parts
that are the same
the cabins
the moadon
the courtyard
the lower courtyard

but
it is actually prettier
even though
camp is not about the beauty
of the buildings
it is about the beauty
of the people

yes
there is a new sports complex
a new office building
a new dining hall
tennis courts
art room
pool
and infirmary

but
sometimes
i drive in
and still think about
the lower pool
the portables
the old staff cabin
that was just one little room

a lot has changed
and
all for the good

but then
we dress for shabbat
and everyone comes in
the dining hall
wearing white
the songs are being sung
the smiles are brilliant
and there
in front of me
if I squint
it is all the same
only the faces have changed
that is the best feeling of all

No comments:

Post a Comment